[TYPO3-mvc] Modelling Editor Eclipse for FLOW3/ExtBase

Stephan Petzl spetzl at gmx.at
Wed Jan 27 10:39:40 CET 2010

Interesting topic! i was thinking about model driven developement &
extbase a lot the last days, cause i am currently learning for the
"model engineering" exam on thursday.
We had some practical exercise this semester as well, which consisted of
3 parts:

1.) we defined a Domain Specific Language (DSL) for MVC WebApplications
(DSL==Metamodel). This language consists of everything you will need for
a webapp but not more (e.g. "Entity", "Relation", "Attribute" for the
DataModel and "Controller", "ListView", "EditView", "Subcontroller",
"Link", ... for the representation- and routing model.)

2.) we generated a editor plugin for Eclipse (out of the Metamodel),
which allows you to construct a model representing a concrete
webapplication. Its far more simple than you might think! After
generating the editor plugin we modelled a course-administration-app
(Courses, Professors, Exams,...) in a graphical editor (its like drawing
UML diagrams). No need to write code at all, so far.

3.) we generated 100% of the code for a Java MVC webapp. We defined
templates in the language XPAND. Basically it works like any other
templating system: You write html (and jsp) code and add some markers
here and there, which will be substituted with dynamic data at a later
point.
We generated JSP Views, Controllers, Data Access Objects, Models with
annotation for Hibernate-Persistance, a menu for navigation, and even
some test stubs.

The great thing about the whole thing is, that its not about Java, you
can generate source for every type of language this way.
Even if we are developing a kickstarter which is not eclipse-based, i
think it would be a good idea to use standards which are already there.
e.g. for model-storage i think we could use XMI (which can be loaded in
eclipse as well) instead of a proprietary JSON object model.

BR Stephan

--
Best Regards
Stephan Petzl