[TYPO3-mvc] TCA type "inline" - again

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Mon Jan 4 18:05:02 CET 2010

Hi all.

On 01.01.10 23:03, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> TCA type "inline" is fun when it comes to mapping the data. Let's assume this data model.
>

>     1     n       n     1
> CD---------Track---------Recording
> title      number        title
> tracks     recording     artist
> producer   CD
>
> In the TCA the tracks field of the CD is declared as inline. The CD ExtBase model has a property
> $tracks defined as Tx_Extbase_Persistence_ObjectStorage<Tx_Track>.

I had a brief discussion with Masi over Skype about this topic today. I
hope I can clarify the things a little bit now.

The conception of IRRE dealing with intermediate tables is, to store
domain data in a mm-table. The concept of Extbase is to treat mm-tables
only as a technical solution to store relations. If you feel the need to
store data in a relation table, there is (IMHO) always a misconception
in the domain model.

The Track table is not a relation table, it is a normal "domain model
table" as it is shown in the figure above. The technical view is to have:

  CD---------Track-----MM-------------Recording
  title      number    uid_local      title
  tracks     CD        uid_foreign    artist
  producer

This already works in the BE with an altered version of Masis extension.

> What now happens currently in ExtBase is not really useful and/or buggy as I have explained in my
> earlier post.

Unfortunately, there are two known bugs in Extbase related to IRRE. But
Masi and I are already aware of this.

Regards
Jochen