[TYPO3-mvc] Building up a generic BE module for managing domain records - need conceptual help

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Thu Aug 5 15:29:56 CEST 2010

Hey list,

I currently have the requirement to build up an enhanced backend module
to manage certain domain records of my customer. In a first step, there
should "only" be a listView, linking to the TCEform editing. "Only"
because it should have the same features as the list module in Typo3,
enhanced by various filter options, filter options like in a query
builder but kept a bit simpler.

I'm currently in the concept phase of the project and already have an
idea on how I could build up the filters - but what I'm really not sure
about is on how to best build the list view, where the editor can decide
which columns/properties he likes to see. I not sure how to handle this
in FLUID and am open for opinions.

I think I might need a viewHelper that I pass a propertiesToDisplay
object/array to, as well as an array/objectStorage with records to
display. The viewHelper is then building rows per object based on the
propertiesToDisplay settings. But how to handle different property types
while rendering them? Some properties are relations to other objects,
some are TCA select fields and some string, integers, float or need a
price formatting.
I know that I could create rendering settings for each property by hand
and wrap them with a if-condition checking if this property is visible,
but this doesn't feel good, as it's no the generic approach I aim for.

I'm even not sure if I should put the rendering logic of the properties
to the view, because what if I switch the view to a ExtJS grid? So
should I probably create a service that's building up a plain array with
the properly rendered values, which I then can pass to a much simpler
view or to ExtJS via JSON?

How would you solve this? I'm thankful for every opinion on this.

The next step after this will be a export functionality for the filtered
record sets including their dependencies (propably in own Excel sheets
if the export will be a Excel file) - but that's a different story.