[TYPO3-mvc] Feature: automatic target page determination

David Bruchmann david at bruchmann-web.de
Wed Aug 4 03:07:33 CEST 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Bastian Waidelich <bastian at typo3.org>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. August 2010 20:15:17
Betreff: Re: [TYPO3-mvc] Feature: automatic target page determination

> What do you think of setting the default value of "defaultPid" to an
> empty string instead of "auto". Then you have to explicitly enable the
> automatic target page determination if you want to (even though it's not
> convention over configuration anymore then)..

Hi Bastian,

In general I haven't anything against auto-configuration but we've to
separate that for the user from that for the programmer - even if both
are handled by the same functions perhaps.

As Programer I can tell you that I hardly needed a very long time just
to chose extbase as the 'right' MVC-framework. And some infos still are
hardly to get even I bought the book, found a page with the API and some
more sources.
It doesn't concern the magic you told about but the way to programm is
now completley different and the time to start and solve some special
problems requires that all the magic is well documented and that it's
easy to find functions, variables and mechanisms  - either by sourecode
or by documentation. Sourcecode may be a matter of time to know all the
classes but with all the magic its getting hard to find something.

So very good documentation is required and even I have found now many
sources for Information I don't find all I need - some things are quite
simple other perhaps not but I still need help to find through the
framework.

Concerning the magic again: For me as programmer it's important to know
how to get all the magical assigned values. To much magic perhaps makes
it hard to configure things manually if required or to know who
variables and values can be found - or just how to name and sort files
correctley that all the magic works ;)

Greets,
David