[TYPO3-mvc] Documentation

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Tue Apr 13 08:44:45 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,

as already pointed out by Jochen -- we don't write this book because of
making money... In fact, I guess we won't get too much money from it, if
at all. The reason (of writing the book) is that with the book we got
the chance to explain Extbase / Fluid in-depth in a good way - and
getting some guidance in the writing process.

However, I feel that I would not be able to motivate myself to write
such a huge manual, with step-by-step-instructions explaining Extbase
from start to finish, and our intentions behind it. Reason: I think my
part of the book took me about 1 or 2 months pure writing time, and I
think for Jochen's Part is is equal; and if I didn't have a lecturer who
gave me great feedback on my parts, I would have lost the fun of writing
quite early I guess (not to mention the bad quality).

I really think we need a reference manual of Extbase online soon --
that's why we made the agreement with Oreilly to be able to publish and
translate the reference part of the book. And then, I hope that some
people want to help out a bit more with documentation, writing f.e.
examples and case studies, introductions to DDD, stuff like that.

So, I see the whole documentation as a community process; and I know
that right now, Jochen and myself have to start organizing the
translation of the reference manual. As soon as my exams are over, I'll
look into that -- that's extremely far up on my ToDo list. And
afterwards, I hope that we can together create a great English
documentation.

I can understand everybody who wants to have this book in English as
well -- me too! However, we were not in the position to decide that; and
we did not want to turn the german book down because I still think that
it's a great opportunity to have Extbase and Fluid documented with their
intentions behind them; even if it is only in German in the first step,
and we can together create such a reference in English.

Greets,
Sebastian