[TYPO3-mvc] Quickstart documentation

Sebastian KurfŸürst sebastian at typo3.org
Wed May 27 23:44:52 CEST 2009

Hi Franz,

I had a look at what you wrote so far, and I really like it :-)

 > I would prefer to have the "write your own extension" guide in the
 > manual. Let's concentrate to have a good step-by-step quickstart manual
 > first. It would be confusing to have two different Domains inside the
 > quickstart manual.

Seems I have a conflicting opinion here ;) I think part of the
quickstart is helping people to learn a certain system without going too
much into the details - thus, I think a "walkthrough" developing an
extension would be very helpful. For understanding, it is much more
helpful if you have a quickstart part which guides you through all
steps, from creating the directory structure to a full-fledged
extension, explaining the problems along the way and the solutions we
provide.

So, I see the first Part Franz wrote more as an introduction to get
people interested - while people will actually learn how to use Extbase
in the second part of the Quickstart. And then, they'll later use the
Manual to look up how specific parts work when they have the big picture.

Currently I see the manual more as a reference whose job is more to
describe the different parts of the system really in detail, while the
quickstart will be didactically a lot more helpful if it provides an
example "from scratch".

 > I would also prefer to stick to one Example Domain (A BlogApplication)
 > for the whole documentation. In rare cases (where the domain model of
 > a Blog isn't applicable) we could take a peek at another domain.

actually I think people start to get used to the blog example, and maybe
it is helpful to have another domain for a walkthrough like the one
Franz pointed out. Maybe we should just try it out?

I'm not sure if we currently mean the same, @Jochen, but just phrase it
differently ;-)

Greets and thanks for all your work,
Sebastian