[TYPO3-mvc] Getting started with ExtBase

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Wed May 27 11:23:56 CEST 2009

On 2009-05-27 10:53:48 +0200, Sebastian Gebhard
<s.gebhard at markenmotiv.de> said:

> Sebastian KurfŸürst schrieb:
>> - First, create some pseudo-UML diagrams on a Blackboard or a sheet of paper
>
> I'm at this step now. And I struggle to decide which entities of my
> extension are model objects and which are value objects.

Well let's reformat this sentence: "I'm at this step now. And I
struggled to decide which objects of my extension are entities and
which are value objects."

> I took a look at blog_example and I do not understand why the tags are
> model objects. They have no identity, once the name changes they are
> something different, right?

Tags are value objects because they don't have a intrinsic (or let's
say "hidden") identity. The identity of a tag is only defined by its
value (the name of the tag). If the name changes, the tag has a
different identity. This has consequences on how the frame-work handles
those objects.

A person object is an entity because it has an intrinsic identity: Even
if all the properties of the object will change (I know Robert and
Karsten will disagree with me in this point ;-) ).

To decide whether an object is an entity or a value object is one of
the most difficult things to decide.

Regards
Jochen

--