[TYPO3-mvc] viewhelpers: stripHTML & removeXSS - what should be tested?

Andreas Rieser A.Rieser at t3site.com
Tue May 19 17:09:45 CEST 2009

Hi @ all!

This morning I sent Sebastian Kurfürst the last two missing
ViewHelpers stripHTML & removeXSS - well, not exactly a big deal,
because these are only wrappers for core / php functions, but better
than nothing...
Btw.: They are in the wiki as well. Currently I have not created
tests for these - but I'd like to do this as well. My question is:
what should be tested?

Is it sufficient to take example strings, pass them to the functions
and assert that the result is correct?
I mean something really basic like:

stripHTML: "<h1>Test</h1>" ->  "Test"
removeXSS: "<h1>Test<script>alert('XSS vulnerability!)</script></h1>"
-> "<h1>Test</h1>"

Or should testing go into details - if yes, how far does this make
sense?

Regards,
Andreas