[TYPO3-mvc] IRRE foreign_selector ("associative entity")

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Dec 28 12:58:01 CET 2009

Jochen Rau schrieb:
> Hi Martin.
>
> schrieb Martin Kutschker:
>> Are inline records with a "foreign_selector" (and no "MM") are
>> supported by ExtBase? If I'm not
>> mistaken this would be "associative entities".
>
> Associative entities are not supported by Extbase, yet. Thus setting a
> foreign_selector will have no effect. Could you open a feature request
> on forge, please. We have to discuss this in more detail for Extbase 2.0.

Ok.

>> But what to to now with ExtBase? The associative entity has to be
>> persisted, but doesn't need to be
>> shown or manipulated on its own. I won't need a controller/view for
>> it. But how to add this entities
>> to the models of recoding and CD without a further MM table?
>
> IMO it's ok to have an "intermediate" domain object. You don't need a
> controller or a view for it. Maybe it makes sense to have a domain
> object "Track" holding the track number and the recording:
>

>    1     n       n     1
> CD---------Track---------Recording
> title      number        title
> tacks      recording     length
> producer

This is what I had in mind.

If I set this up with a "foreign_selector" nothing will happen. So I only need to add custom
functions to my repositories if I want to store and retrieve the tracks, right? ExtBase will not
help me, but it will not stand in my way.

Masi

PS: I know, I sounded negative in my last posts. ExtBase has of course come a long way. I fear I
have expected it to be more feature complete.