[TYPO3-ttnews] tt_news support / TYPO 6.x / news extension

jaco graaff jaco at spacexplorer.co.za
Mon Jul 22 02:02:18 CEST 2013

Hi Sybille –
My experience with this decision – maybe helpful…
SUMMARY:
If you move to fluid and Typo3 v6 – AND if it is at all possible at all to
do without a couple of features of tt_news(old news) (that was contributed
by 3rd parties and most likely will not be supported in future) – move to
tx_news(new news – Georg’s news).

If there is no way you can do without those features (tt_news) then make
very sure they are compatible with Typo3 v6x or stay with previous version.
I have been quit anxious to move over to tx_news (Georg’s new news extension
based on fluid) because I have also decided to start to use fluid more than
templavoila and work towards using Typo3 v6.2 Long Term Support.

Also Georg has always been very active, helpful and passionate about his
tx_news extension.

External fluid-templates (like external typoscript files) in my favorite
current editor (PhpStorm) is great from a management of code and ease of
development point of view once you understand how they work.

I have investigated tx_news about 2 years back:
http://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&th=123516&goto=383963&#msg_383963
and decided to stay with tt_news(old news) since there where to many
features I like that was missing in tx_news

The 3 most important features clients always liked and that was missing was:
1.
LATEST-DETAIL on main news-language page WITH older news items visible on
same page AND Latest not showing in the list view – see the attached png
file as well as my implementation on:

http://buildinghelp.com.au/general-news/

And
2.
NEXT-PREVIOUS browsers in detail view with names of articles in it.

3. Comments

In OLD-NEWS – tt_news – this was made possible by an extra extension:
"xw_ttnewslatestsingle"
developed by Christian Juerges

It is unluckily not compatible with typo3 4.6x

So I am a bit stuck.

I recently again tried to fit tx_news into my preferred design:
http://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=690030&&srch=jaco+graaff#msg_690030
http://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=690036&&srch=jaco+graaff#msg_690036
http://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=690059&&srch=jaco+graaff#msg_690059

I have 3 choices:

1.    Spend time to create a new view-helper to try and extend tx_news to
get the LATEST-DETAIL view and page-browser back.
2.    Try and port the tt_news LATEST-SINGLE capability
3.    Change my Design to work like the default supported behavior
a. Have a fixed-set Detail item in the detail view (The page has to have a
detail-item parameter else it fails)
b. See a list-view on the News Page – no detail view by default – click on a
list item: See the detail view with a list view.
OR
c. Allow users to only access the news-detail page from another page (e.g.
the front page) after clicking on a list-news item displayed on the front
page.

If your news function front-end is going to work like the default tx_news
one – then I think it is the obvious choice because of fluid.