[TYPO3-ttnews] Ext:news – some content related questions

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Wed Jan 9 15:02:49 CET 2013

Hi Georg,

thanks for your reply, which was fast as lightning.
> Hi,
>
> I hope I can answer everything.
>
> Am 09.01.2013 14:22, schrieb Thomas Skierlo:
>> 1) Is there any disadvantage in not using the internal „Text“ input of
>> news at all. I would prefer pure standard content, which might include
>> own content elements, like sliders, tabs, accordions and so on. Tried it
>> this way, and everything seems to be working properly. But maybe with
>> some caveats?
> no disadvantage. I prefer the bodytext because editors do too many
> stupid things with content elements which can look ugly pretty fast.
>
> If you need it, fine, use it.

Good to hear. I know what you mean, but in this special case I will be
the editor. Besides that, if a content element is set up properly by the
admin, it should be rather impossible to mess up the layout. But I
agree, that it's a long and hard way to get to that point.

>> 2) If not, wouldn't it be a great idea to get rid of the element? It
>> doubles the work needed to integrate things like lightboxes and
>> galleries, and it encourages users to use rte images, which probably
>> will never be able to be responsive. Relying on pure standard content
>> would probably ease further development a lot.
> you wanna remove the bodytext field? Do with with tsconfig, user rights,
> TCA in custom extension but it will stay within ext:new.
>
>> 3) I'm working with a Twitter Bootstrap grid to get responsive features.
>> Therefore things like
>> „plugin.tx_news.settings.detail.media.image.maxWidth“ must be
>> „responsive“ too, depending on the placement of the plugin. „maxWidth“
>> doesn't seem to offer stdWrap, so it is getting rather complicated to
>> get it to behave dynamicly. Is there a way to achieve this, or to
>> reference site wide settings, like „styles.content.imgtext.maxWInText“,
>> „styles.content.imgtext.maxW“ or „styles.content.imgtext.linkWrap.width“
>> instead of hard-coding identical values into the detail view?
> I doubt that you can access styles. in fluid but this is not a problem
> inside ext:news. What you of course could do would be to use a custom
> image viewhelper and get the TS there without any problem

Yes. I'll write a view helper for image handling. But wouldn't stdWrap
be the easier way for the vast majority of users?

>> Currently all this is possible with ext:news, only in a pretty complex
>> way. Imagine you want one image to be placed as a teaser image above the
>> teaser text (whole width of column), and you define the first one of the
>> media-relations stack to be that image, you will need 4 nested if
>> clauses in your template to isolate it from the rest.
> then you would use the checkbox "show in preview views" or you would use
> {newsItem.firstImagePreview} or you would use a custom VH to get what
> you need.

Gosh. I've overlooked "firstImagePreview". Shame on me - that solves my
problem.

>> 5) Last question: If I remember it right the old tt_news allowed
>> pagination in detail view too. Tried it once without big success. It was
>> not very stable. I'm currently writing articles which are more that 20
>> A4 pages long. Are there any plans to offer pagination for articles in
>> future?
> talking about git version of course: there is one:
> <n:paginateBodytext />

Perfect! Is this limited to the news internal Text field, or can I use
it with standard CE too?

Regards,

Thomas Skierlo