[TYPO3-ttnews] Feedback on EXT:news

Thomas Kowtsch thomas at kowtsch.de
Mon Mar 26 21:57:36 CEST 2012

Hi Georg,

On 26.03.2012 06:41, Georg Ringer wrote:
> Am 25.03.2012 21:50, schrieb Thomas Kowtsch:
>> 1) news is hard to find anywhere: The name is too similar compared to
>> tt_news, so it's hard to find news even in the TER, not counting
>> searches in the web or in a forum.
> yeah I know that. I am on it for the TER as "news" as search word and
> "news" as EXT-key are a 100% match and must appear as 1st result :D

Where to vote with a +1? Is there already a wish for a search function
with some more possibilities (search title/user only, show all that
depend on ext:...)?

>> 2) Documentation could benefit from a clearer structure: The manual
>> holds some short examples, but once the extension is uploaded to TER,
>> these are outdated and newer one can be found in the wiki. Maybe you
>> should simply remove them from the manual until they get less volatile?
> yeah this is a difficult area (for me). I am still not sure if moving
> more out from the file to the wiki is the best way? I would love to
> switch to rest as it is easier/faster to write (I hope)

IMHO, his will move over the time. For now, as long as not everything is
settled, extbase and fluid are fairly new to a large number of
developers and integrators, the wiki seem to fit better b/c one can add
or modify it on the fly, while it takes time from release to release to
update the manual.

>> 3) news has too few publicity to gather new ideas: tt_news was used as
>> "one fits all"-extension, almost everything you could imagine was done
>> with it. There are so many publications, code snippets, additional
>> extensions, ... out there. This what's still missing - all of us need to
>> spread the word of ext:news.
> yeah true but of course tt_news is longer in the market. However I plan
> to do some additional exts like be/fe-user as author and a fe-edit.

+1 for the FE-Edit!

Et voila: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/35248 :-)

> yeah spread the word ;)

Of course!