[TYPO3-ttnews] Feedback on EXT:news

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Mon Mar 26 06:41:56 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your feedback!

Am 25.03.2012 21:50, schrieb Thomas Kowtsch:
> What I liked most when starting to play with news that it did exactly
> what was promised: No hidden features to investigate, no need to
> "scratch the left ear with the right foot" to get some result -
> everything goes straight forward and clear.

:)

> 1) news is hard to find anywhere: The name is too similar compared to
> tt_news, so it's hard to find news even in the TER, not counting
> searches in the web or in a forum.

yeah I know that. I am on it for the TER as "news" as search word and
"news" as EXT-key are a 100% match and must appear as 1st result :D

> 2) Documentation could benefit from a clearer structure: The manual
> holds some short examples, but once the extension is uploaded to TER,
> these are outdated and newer one can be found in the wiki. Maybe you
> should simply remove them from the manual until they get less volatile?

yeah this is a difficult area (for me). I am still not sure if moving
more out from the file to the wiki is the best way? I would love to
switch to rest as it is easier/faster to write (I hope)

> 3) news has too few publicity to gather new ideas: tt_news was used as
> "one fits all"-extension, almost everything you could imagine was done
> with it. There are so many publications, code snippets, additional
> extensions, ... out there. This what's still missing - all of us need to
> spread the word of ext:news.

yeah true but of course tt_news is longer in the market. However I plan
to do some additional exts like be/fe-user as author and a fe-edit.

> 4) I'm still missing a news type "File".

never thought about that, wanna open a feature request?

> I think there are still some more things to say, but I want to give
> other people also a chance to say "Thank you!"

yeah spread the word ;)

Georg