[TYPO3-ttnews] Current localization issues - tx_news vs. tt_news

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Wed Mar 21 13:50:57 CET 2012

Hello everybody,

on my live servers I'm still running TYPO3 4.5.4, with a very limited
set of major extensions, like TV, DAM, realUrl, tt_news 3.01. Most of my
projects are multilingual. To get tt_news 3.01 working in a multilingual
environment I had to apply many patches – and finally all worked as
expected.

During the last 4 weeks I tried to update TYPO3 to a more recent version
on my development system. I knew about tx_news, but I first tried to
keep tt_news. Before I started the update to tt_news 3.1.0 I checked the
issue tracker. It seemed that tt_news 3.1.0 includes all the patches I
manually applied for 3.01 earlier. After the installation and with the
caching framework enabled, everything seemed to be ok except the single
news page browser (previous/next article), which had lost the ability to
localize and sorts non-default records after the default language
sequence (I remember that I once applied a patch for 3.01 for this
reason – but I didn't document it). So probably one of the patches for
3.01 didn't make it into 3.1.0.

While I was still looking for a solution tt_news 3.2.0 came up.
According to the release notes only a modification for improved TYPO3
4.7 compatibility. I installed it anyhow, to always use the latest
version. Next thing I noticed was a fatal exception. FE and BE died
instantly because of a „cache not accessible“ problem. This problem
could be solved by disabling the caching framework (which was enabled
since tt_news 3.01 without problems). For sure disabling it could not be
a long term solution.

Ok, I thought. Time for a change. tt_news is dead and tx_news is on it's
way. I can understand that a developer must concentrate on the future
release, at least, if both, the old one as well as the new one, need a
lot of attention. I would do the same, if time and development power are
limited.

So I installed tx_news 1.3.2 and started my first dive into
fluid/extbase. The combination looked very familiar, similar to the MVC
concept of Zend Framework – and I liked that. My first aim was a list
view and a detail view and after a day or two my test news records
looked very similar to the ones from my live server with the patched
tt_news 3.01. On my dev system I use both, tt_news 3.1.0 and tx_news,
both share the same news storage folder and pages, so I can see
differences in a second. Everything seems to be fine for the default
language – but not for any additional language.

DAM assets are not localized, and overwriting in the flexforms didn't
cure the problem. Same for Images included via the RTE. I tried all
combinations of

1) Entering everything into the RTE form: Default language seems to be
ok, but all assets are missing in the localized versions. After playing
around I found an alternative variant. Default and localized text
version, but assets from DAM only in default language (captions,
alt-text, titles).

2) Using only the teaser field and a DAM image for the list view, plus
additional content elements: Same problem as under 1) for the referenced
image, but the content elements seemed to be ok (I tried Text/w.Image,
and all DAM functionality was available – at least for the default
language). I found no way to translate this record later. Nothing
happened in the BE after clicking the localization buttons.

Like tt_news, tx_news defines it's own „content element“, as part of the
Model. For me the question is, why? Wouldn't it be possible to really
use default content elements (tt_content) within tx_news, getting rid of
all the MVC/Extbase/DAM/RTE issues and discussions? Reducing the model
to the pure management of a teaser, special, news related data (archive
settings, top-news) and keeping track of tt_content records, which form
the body of the detail view. It would result in a lightweight news
system with all the power of the core technology. I don't know if
Extbase offers a feature like „give me a record of tt_content in the old
fashioned way and allow me to manipulate/edit it without changing its
structure“? If not, it might still be possible to place all standard
content news elements on a not-in-menu page and link them to the proper
news record. All localisations could be handled inside the page module,
where DAM includes without any problems until the day being.

Probably the reason for the current behaviour is either Extbase, which
might not be ready for production, or DAM 1.x, which was never designed
for MVC or Fluid. Couldn't all these problems be avoided by
concentrating on the use of standard content elements instead of own ones?

What would be the right approach to my problem, especially if waiting
for Extbase 2.x or DAM 2.x is not an option? I can either carry on using
my patched tt_news 3.01 with a version freeze of TYPO3 4.5 or move on to
a later TYPO3 version and say goodbye to multilingual projects with the
need of news. Seems like a decision between plague and cholera.

Is there any best practice in the current situation?

Greetings from Holland,

Thomas Skierlo