[TYPO3-ttnews] screencasts tt_news

Žiga Dolhar ziga at dolhar.si
Tue Jan 31 14:36:32 CET 2012

Hi Ben & List,

In your position, I'd ask myself what I'd like to achieve with- and what
is the main purpose of "introductory package".

If it is a demonstration of what "has been" possible to do with typo3,
then go with the most used stable version of typo3 and most used
extensions. tt_news, ve_guestbook. That is, if you would like to
demonstrate what "has already been done, by existing developers, for
existing developers".

If, however, you'd like (and I would think this is the reasoning behind
the concept of introductory packages) to introduce typo3 to new users,
then I'd ditch the "most used in the past" approach and try the "what
we'd like to be done in the future". It would probably be easier for a
new developer to grasp typo3 if he had news & comments on his hands,
compared to tt_news and ve_guestbook. I believe the introoductory
package is not targeted at existing developers, but new ones. I would
think there's a wider interest in phasing out tt_news and replacing it
with some other extension.

And, of course, there is one additional and very selfish reason for my
writing this post :-). Inclusion of news into introductory package and
its wider spread (deployment and use) would put some welcome pressure on
Georg to continue working on his extension :-).

Yours,
Žiga