[TYPO3-ttnews] Switch to news2

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:41:19 CEST 2011

Thank you, Jigal, for your extensive answer! I appreciate it.

I do grasp the quality of TYPO3's excellent extension system and that
each and everyone should contribute in his/her own manner instead of
complaining. (I actually have contributed to TYPO3 and ext developers
and other OpenSource Projects in various ways, also financially. If you
think I should list it here, just say so.)

But I'd still like to discuss the following situation - the subheader
problem in TEXT and TEXTPIC, where it is not visible by default and
enabling it is done "in just a few steps" (well... a-hem... Iwill not
dig into that, not here, not later in this mail, but keep it in mind as
solution 4).

To have the subheader visible is a topic that is discussed since quite
some years, I mean to remember a discussion when there was TYPO3 3.8,
but I am not sure.

Jo Hasenau just recently responded that a Google search pops up 1000
"serious" entries. So lets say there are 500 people who are in need of
the subheader. Not many compared to how many use TYPO3 and either don't
need it or "unlock" it - that's undoubtely true. But THERE ARE 500
people are out there, who encounter the same problem that has to be solved.

Fact is that a programmatical changein behaviour of the subheader is a
core feature. So only core developers can bring in the changes. And even
though this is one of those discussions that has already been led for
many times (ever asked why it is discussed again and again??) - nothing
changed. Well, actually something changed with v4.5: it was the reason
for another bug (thanks to Jo Hasenau who sticked with me and finally
found out that it was a bug, not a "feature").

Under the line this means: the subheader is additional work for some of
the users AND the developers, who have to fix bugs.

But developers like to list counter arguments like:

- not many people need it and they would be happy about the additional
screen estate that is won because of one less field;

- it is easily turned by adding some TS and pimping the ext_tables.php
(Well... easy... and i found the solution via google, but not in a TYPO3
documentation... please point me to the place that I might have missed...)

The following questions come to my mind:

First of all I do not understand where this argument "the subheader is
not needed by most of the poeple" comes from, because the subheader was
never visible by default, consequently a contrary discussion like "the
subheader is useless, hide it gain some additional screen estate" never
could take place. (But maybe I missed something here - any hints are
welcome.)

Second - why keep a feature that at least 500 people need anyway, could
just be not rendered when not used (like many other fields), would
improve the workflow and the HTML standards and at the same time would
reduce a possible bug scenario and - last but not least - could be
hidden in an accordion thanks to ExtJS?

Third - another counter argument is: write an extension (there are
already 2, not up to date, though). OK. I write my ext. Another one.
Another Ext...
Aside from the fact that this is an ext that has the duty to enable a
feature that is there anyway but "made configurable" and switched off
for some CEs, there is, at the same time, the discussion about the
number and quality of Extensions: too many, too bad quality, too similar
etcetc (no man power to control quality). A vicious circle...

So no matter how much I would sponsor TYPO3 dev and write Ext: the
suheader is a specific core dev topic where - even though at least 500
people request it since years - nothing changes.

I really wonder why... I cannot do anything else but post the problem
here and start a long ongoing discussion.

And you wonder why questions like these keep coming up. Well: maybe
because there is more than just one person out there who considers a
subheader an important workflow feature.

Tell me: if I pay you, would you enable it??? What's the priece, make me
a reasonable offer that a regular web worker (actually I am a musician)
can afford!

Scenarios of how this feature could be handled so each and everybody can
have "his/her" own TYPO3:

- Accordion: put the subheader in an accordion and keep it closed at
start (once it has content it should be shown thogh).

- in the Ext manager, insert a check box "Show subheader in TEXT and
TEXTPIC", which is off by default (very much like e.g. an RTE or tt_news
configuration)

- (the fancy solution which would respect hgroup in HTML5) "Add Header":
a function that adds another header line, automatically stepping down in
the hx-tag hierarchy (very much like the adding field functions in
powermail). Additionally, there could be a check box like "wrap all
headers in hgroup", which of course would only become visible once there
are at least 2 headers.

I could also deliver a layout sketch to show where fields could go, if
you wish.

So - this is my input: I am willing to pay and I have provided some
ideas what a solution could look like and which I consider solutions
that fit all of us.

I wonder which counter arguments will come up now.

Best Regards and with only the best intentions,
Robert