[TYPO3-ttnews] Switch to news

Thomas Kowtsch thomas at kowtsch.de
Sat Sep 17 20:31:27 CEST 2011

Hi Robert,

On 17.09.2011 16:18, Robert Wildling wrote:
 > [...]
> But: google for TYPO3 tt_news and TYPO3 Workspace - and I think the
> answer is there.

Mmmmhhhh...I remember a large pain while configuring the last use cases
for tt_news. Regarding this, I'd say "Workspaces simply do their job"
;-) [1]

No, please don't take this too serious, but I think that both the kind
of coding and the "historically grown" structure is really a part of the
number of search results. And: The more possibilities of configuration
you have, the more questions come up.
Why not use tt_news as a tiny calender ("it already has a date
field!!1!!!" - and "how to get the end_date field into the view???")...

IMHO, comparing search results ends up in comparing apples with wine.

> TYPO3 could be made easier and faster to achieve results and also for
> you to maintain it

Having more code in one package means that you need more time for
integration testing [2] and that less people can have a complete
overview what is going on; and more and more additional wishes come up
[3]. It doesn't matter if you create a large-scale "All fits one" shop
extension or if you put more features into TYPO3 core.
And, one more drawback: You are linked to the release cycles of your
main package, e.g. the TYPO3 core. No more features in beta phase, no
fast bugfixes in between, ...

> - see the subheader discussion - turning it off just
> opens the possibility for new bugs; why not just leave it on and when
> empty don't render it??? That's easier FOR ALL OF US, including the
> developers!!!

I think this really depends on the perspective. For dev point of view,
there is one more field to be supported, it needs to be tested, ...
Yes, all of this is possible, but it's not for free :-(

> But only core developer can change that.

One more drawback on having too many extensions part of core, thanks ;^)
Simply try to file in a new feature (maybe a hook or something like
that), and include a complete patch for it. Your release date will be
v4.7, far more than half a year in the future. Any TER extension can be
released faster (if in a stable state).

So: IMHO, the focus should be on just a few major things:
- Having a good "Getting started" tutorial with some "recommended"
extensions
- These ext's need to be activly maintained
- The community must help with both points (e.g., help with re-writing
the manual where things are too technical, create/update HowTos, keep
tutorials up to date...)

 From my perspective (both as a user and as "cal" co-developer) this
would help really a lot - but it's really hard to get people involved
when it comes into writing documentation, testing bugs(or bugfixes) -
but this is exactly what prevents developers from providing faster
bugfixes, new features or answering questions in newsgroups.

Just my 0.02€...

Thomas

[1] BTW: Do you have an idea how to solve the problem described in
<mailman.1.1314043126.20661.typo3-project-tt-news at lists.typo3.org>?
[2] Mainly "use case testing" - not just a simple unit test, but a
complete test from record creation, viewing it up to deletion
[3] You start with a
<http://www.amazon.de/Victorinox-1371300-Army-Knife-Huntsman/dp/B0001P151W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316282379&sr=8-1>
and end up with
<http://www.amazon.de/Wenger-Schweizer-Offiziersmesser-Messer-Schatulle/dp/B000R0JDSI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1316282379&sr=8-5>