[TYPO3-ttnews] Switch to news

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Sat Sep 17 15:41:38 CEST 2011

Am 16.09.2011 18:35, schrieb Jordan van Bergen:
> My cup of tea: it's sad to see a new news extension on the horizon.
> What will the current users of tt_news have to do if tt_news is no
> longer supported by a new version of TYPO3?

just because there is a new extension it doesn't mean you need to change.

> They have to switch to a news extension they don't know. tt_news does
> a great job for 5+ years already and EVERY effort should be put in
> this extension and not into a new one.

just because there is a new extension it doesn't mean you can't use the
other any more. There are 1000 galleries in TER and every day a new one,
you don't need to use everyone, just the one which fits best for you.

> As you can see I don't like the new news extension. Haven't looked at
> it

*lol* Yeah awesome. YOu didn't even try it but you still don't like it?
Maybe it would help you being faster at creating websites and therefore
you could earn more per day. Give it a try ;)

> but I have to I guess as probably tt_news won't be supported
> anymore some day.

I support news, somebody else supports another extension. I never really
supported tt_news, so there is no loss for you.

> So never saw news so I can't say anything about it

but yo already did.

> The people behind TYPO3 are making some big mistakes if you ask me:

People behind TYPO3 are not the same as the ones which develop and share
extensions.

> 1. No core news extension but an addon extension. Every big open
> source CMS has a news module in the core of the basic installed CMS
> system

And what is the difference for you? Both are installed via extension
manager and output is exactly the same.

> 2. The battle for the best extension per solution. Someone should say:
> this is the news extension we support and the rest can do what ever
> they want but you are on your own. We only support 1 news extension.

there is no we.

> TYPO3 is still a solid CMS system and it rocks but I see more and more
> people (and customers) leaving this CMS system and switching to
> another CMS system.

but not only because there is a news extension built in.

> I won't for the coming 2 years but I'm definitely
> broadering my horizon concerning a CMS system to use in future.

Of course you should always use the solution which fits best. In last 3
years, magento is the choice for web shops.

This is also the reason why people are so hard working on TYPO3 v5.

> Now a question for you: why do you want to switch from tt_news to
> news? Can you explain this to this group?

1) Because code quality is better

Just look how tt_news is built: Everything in one file

2) Because fluid and extbase allows far more freedome

Just one basic example: If you need in your list template just an
additional link to a normal page, you need a hook for tt_news. with
fluid you can just add it in the template.

3) Usability is far better, especially for editors.
I find the plugin far to complicated at tt_news and I never got the
difference between LIST, LATEST and those LIST1-LIST6.

4) New concepts

4a) I never liked this concept of "1st image can be used in list view"
and nothing else. But what if you would like to show the 2nd and 3rd
image in list view? news allows this as there is no limitation there
anymore. you can even add videos out of the box like using
rgmediaimagesttnews for tt_news does.

4b) news does use new concepts like the tcatree and some code from the
core (e.g. to get url to embed videos from youtube).

Georg