[TYPO3-ttnews] Switch to news2

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 17 12:25:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 16-9-2011 18:35, Jordan van Bergen wrote:
> My cup of tea: it's sad to see a new news extension on the horizon.
> What will the current users of tt_news have to do if tt_news is no
> longer supported by a new version of TYPO3?

The question should be: "what will the current users of tt_news have to
do if tt_news will not support new versions of TYPO3?"
The answer is quite simple: use the new 'news' extension.

> They have to switch to a news extension they don't know. tt_news does
> a great job for 5+ years already and EVERY effort should be put in
> this extension and not into a new one.

If you'd ever seen the code and had taken a good view at the
configuration you would have had a different opinion. tt_news had to be
rewritten. Not because it was bad from the start, but because too much
has been added to it and this resulted in structures which cannot be
maintained any more.

> As you can see I don't like the new news extension. Haven't looked at
> it but

You shouldn't have an opinion about something you haven't taken a look at.

> The people behind TYPO3 are making some big mistakes if you ask me:

Since TYPO3 is a community product, "the people behind TYPO3" is also you!

> 1. No core news extension but an addon extension. Every big open
> source CMS has a news module in the core of the basic installed CMS
> system

The Core Team simply doesn't have the man power available to maintain a
lot of extensions. Every user of TYPO3 has a  different set of "must
have" extensions. It's simply impossible to maintain them all inside the
core.

> 2. The battle for the best extension per solution. Someone should say:
> this is the news extension we support and the rest can do what ever
> they want but you are on your own. We only support 1 news extension.

TYPO3 / the Core Team doesn't support any of these extensions. Of course
extension developers get as much help as possible with maintaining their
extensions, but anything that is in the TER is simply not part of the
TYPO3 core.

> Now a question for you: why do you want to switch from tt_news to
> news? Can you explain this to this group?

- news is completely rewritten and gets rid of many old gremlins in the
tt_news code
- news is actively maintained
- news can import tt_news records
- news is based on extbase and this code is easier to convert to an
extension/package for the TYPO3 version 5; it makes it also easier to
convert your site/data to a future with TYPO3v5

If you want to revive tt_news, feel free to contact Rupert and offer him
some help in any way he can use.

Nobody is against (using) tt_news, but if it isn't actively maintained,
if it is harder and harder to use and configure then it isn't surprising
if some people take the challenge to make a leap into the future.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.