[TYPO3-ttnews] Thoughts about news2

Georg Ringer mail at ringerge.org
Fri Jan 7 08:04:44 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 06.01.2011 22:56, schrieb Thomas Kowtsch:
> - One very clumsy thing in tt_news is the integration of lightbox
> extensions. I never made it to something working to both have lightboxes
> for "normal" news *and* to make "external link"-news (linking to PDF
> downloads) working as expected. Suggestion: Include a distinct
> "click-enlarge" feature as for standard "text w/ image"-content elements
> to switch image ressource behavior.

You want to have a "enable in lightbox" for every image"?

> - In general, lightbox inclusion snippets should be collected by key
> users and either be added to the extension docu or provided to lightbox
> extension authors.

This is very easy in TYPO3 using fluid. See the snippet here:
https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/news2/trunk/Resources/Private/Partials/Detail/MediaImage.html

> - A very helpful thing for me is to provide news on a general page
> whenever they are available and to display only currently applicable
> one's by date on other pages (eg., announcing new publications on a
> overview page and showing the current one using LATEST view on the front
> page)

There will be no more LIST vs LATEST but only a list view. Whenever you
need to display news with a specific date range, there is a field in the
plugin to set something like "-3 weeks 3 days" and you will get all news
with are max 24 days old.

> - default cropping should be aware of HTML-tags (eg., use cropHTML)

should work

> - A "fool-save" migration of existing records is needed

migration is not a very simple task but I did already an import module
which is not yet tested with all options of TYPO3. Versioned records
can't be imported but testing is needed for translated news

> - Some kind of native "Link to file"-support would be helpful for me: If
> you just want to notify about a new file that provides alsoan image
> (such as a PDF), you have to use the type "external link" today and you
> need to assign the same file as image. An easy way to simply select a
> target file that's used both as link target and image/media file could
> help a lot.

there is a seperate relation to files. Of course you can refer to those
files in the list view too by something like
<f:if condition="newsItem.relatedFiles">
	<f:then>
		show the files
	</f:then>
	<f:else>
		do the usual stuff
	</f:else>
</f:if>

> - Valid RSS/ATOM/... (including optional small images) feeds are a must
> have

Beginning of RSS is done

>> And, not to forget: Ideas how to help Georg are welcome as well!

unit tests ;)

Georg