[TYPO3-ttnews] news2 vs tt_news -> TYPO3 CORE?

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Sun Apr 10 20:13:21 CEST 2011

Hi Jordan,

Jordan van Bergen wrote:

> We all should get ride of all news extensions and start using the one
> that's in the core. Doing it this way you will certainly know this is
> a good news system used by every single TYPO3 user instead of us all
> using different news extensions with less support outside the CORE.

I usually need a calendar too. So we need a calendar. And I often need a
shop. So we need a shop system.

And if you ask more people, they will tell you other functions they need
every time. In the end, you will end up with lots of extensions and nobody
will use even half of them.

Actually it used to be that way, that TYPO3 was shipped with the extensions.
But as Georg already said, you will bound updates and new functions to major
TYPO3 releases.

That's is why the TYPO3 developers decided to take a different path. Just
bundle the necessary functions with core and provide a public repository.
Then you can easily take the components you need for your specific website.

That's also why core developers still try to separate functions. For example
in the current version 4.5 LTS, you can remove the page, list and other web
modules if you don't need them.
The workspace and versions extensions are optional since longer, but the
code is not yet completely separated from core. Maybe this will be done in
4.6, but of course somebody has to do it.

To cut it short, the TYPO3 core should only ship the components which are
necessary to create a website and which other extensions developers need to
take care of.
Extensions are in repository and if you think that an extensions misses a
feature, get in touch with the developer.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe