[TYPO3-ttnews] tt_news 2.5.x to 3.0.x migration

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Thu Apr 9 19:54:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

as you might have seen I committed several updates during the last days to
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/show/extension-tt_news
mostly related to the updater script.

the updater script (class.ext_update.php) didn't appear in the extmanager
menu for years because it was made to help you updating tt_news from 1.0.x
to 1.5 or so.
Quite un-useful in these days and so I decided to replace it with a newer
one which helps to fix the most common migration problems when updating an
existing tt_news installation to tt_news 3.0.0.

These problems are:
1. broken relations to static TS-templates: I moved the folder "static/"
from the extension main directory to "/pi/static/". The static templates in
sys_template records are stored as paths, so tt_news will not find its
default TS-settings anymore after the update.
--> The updater can fix this by replacing the old path with the new one in
all template records.

2. moved fields between flexform sheets: I moved some fields in the flexform
from one sheet to another for better usability. Fieldnames are stored with
their sheetname in flexforms, means: the old values of these fields are not
found anymore. The moved fields are:  pages (startingpoint) and recursive
(moved from sheet general to sheet misc) and listLimit and noPageBrowser
(moved from sheet misc to sheet template).
--> the updater can fix this by moving the value from the old field to the
new one (only done, if the new field is empty)

3. non existing html-templates in flexforms: I first implemented this as a
local debugger function to reset the not longer existing file
tt_news_v2_template.html from the template field in Flexforms. But after
some small enhancements I think, now it's generally useful because it
checks if a template which is configured in flexforms actually exists in
the filesystem.
--> if not, the updater offers to reset those values.

so far so good, but you can easyly imagine that I could not test this on
many installations. it were 3 actually and it worked quite well.
but the thrilling thing is: will this work for many other installations,
too?

I need some testers which have a) a tt_news 2.5.x site and b) a testserver
to copy this site on and try the updater.

ATTENTION:
the updater script manipulates the tables tt_content and sys_templates, so
making a sql dump of these tables BEFORE testing the updater would be a
good idea. The updater has no "crtl-z" ;-)

you can see the complete changelog here:
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/entry/extension-tt_news/trunk/ChangeLog

greets
rupert