[TYPO3-ttnews] Some impressions of the new News Admin module

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Apr 10 13:11:32 CEST 2008

Hello Dan,

>> * New articles from the News Admin as user can only be saved in
>> olders who are set through the
>> mod.web_txttnewsM1.list.pidForNewArticles same for admin). This
>> doesn't mean that you can't use more than one sysfolder, but you have
>> to configure it correct. For instance I have three folders with
>> categorys, then I can configure each of these folders with category
>> to save the news in a specific folder (as long as the user has
>> permission to save it there. But I can't save in other folders. Looks
>> like it's work identical for admin and normal user.
>>
> In my opinion, its more logical to create the records (categories or
> new articles) in the page selected, at least in case the
> pidForNewArticles is not set... Am I wrong?
>
> Also, we've had problems with GRSP=1, and had to turn it off. But the
> module must work with any configuration. I'll test it out, and will
> report any problems.
>
> Dan Osipov
> Calkins Media
> http://phillyburbs.com/
> Erik Svendsen wrote:

In the case of GRSP=1 you can save in all folders who has at least one news
category from the News Admin and the users has necessary permissions. With
pidForNewArticles not set you will save the news article in the folder choosen
 But you can't save in folders without categories from the News Admin without
proper settings of pidForNewArticles. An example. If your categories is only
in the GRSP, this is the only page you can choose with the News Admin. With
pidForNewArticles not set the only place articles can be created is in the
same folder (as far as I understand). But you can edit articles from anywhere.
If you want new articles to be created in another folder you have to set
pidForNewArticles in the GRSP to point to the folder where news articles
should be created. You don't need to set it in the rootpage.

In the case of GRSP=0 you can save in every folder/page in the pagetree where
the user has the right to editing content. Therefore you have to set pidForNewArticles
in a way that prevent the user from saving news articles the wrong places.
An example with part of a pagetree.

Rootpage (id=1)
--Some normal pages
--Newspage 1
--Newspage 2 (has news from newsfolder 2)
--<spacer>
--General Record Storage Page (id=10)
--Newscategories (id=11)
--Newsfolder 1 (id=12)
--Newsfolder 2 (id=13)

In this case i would apply the following TSconfig settings.
Rootpage: pidForNewArticles = 12
Newspage 2: pidForNewArticles = 13
Newsfolder 2: pidForNewArticles = 13

In this case every attempt from the user to create an new article in a normal
page would be saved in Newsfolder 1. If he tried to do it in Newspage 2 it
will be saved in Newsfolder 2. Also an attempt to create a new article in
Newsfolder 2 will be saved in this folder.

But if a user only has the rights to edit content in Newsfolder 2, the pidForNewArticles
setting doesn't matter.

I don't think it's possible at all to get an module like News Admin to work
without any configuration, it's to many possible scenarios. Especially when
Rupert has choosen to use the native permission system from TYPO3. If he
hadn't, I think the configuration had been even more complex.

Else, I don't think the News Admin module is a module for every user. It's
a module for the main News editor. User who writes articles in one or two
different folders should be given actions to create and list modules.

Rupert, you give a comment if it something I have misunderstod.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no