[TYPO3-ttnews] [TYPO3-ect] Global categories have already been implemented! We just need to use them!

Fri Jun 8 10:36:20 CEST 2007

Am Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:14:47 +1000 schrieb David Toshack:

> Elmar I realize you don't have time to work on this right now, but would
> appreciate some guidance on what you see as the next steps that I could
> follow through with.
>

> [1] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/trees/0.0.9/
> [2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/articles/0.2.7/
> [3]
> http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2006-January/000136.html
> [4]
> http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2006-September/001007.html
> [5] http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-dev/2007-June/023829.html
> [6] http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/

Hi David,

I give a short summary:

Ernesto Bashny has shared the inspiring idea to use the page tree for
categories. It comes with types, translation handling, mount points, all
what we need.

So you can use the page tree out of the box to manage categories. For
comfortability some additional tools are required. "trees" is a library to
manage trees in MVC and object orientated style. It contains example code
how it can be used to program Backend forms to enable category selections.

With trees and the page tree I did enob.info. If you check the themes
search, you will discover that there is a lot of categorization in the
game.

The blocking problem, that stopped CCF development, is the bad handling of
MM-tables in TYPO3. I wanted to put all category relations into one table
instead of dozend of different mm tables. But you need an additional type
field to organize different mm-relations into one table.

mm_foreign provides a way, to store at least one field of meta information
with MM-relations. Unfortunatly I couldn't figure out, if and how it would
be possible to use this field in the required way. How to select and
display a subset of relations based on this field in the BE and how to
store by the TCE.

It's not easy to understand and improve the TCE core class because all is
mixed and muddled up in it. I think the workspaces have been a pint to
much for it. If you put to much functionality into the same class and
functions, they become more and more worthless.

If someone could help here I guess it's Oliver Hader. There have been some
improvements by him in the newest versions and we would need to figure out
if it would give us the requirements for the typed MM-tables.

You find my original concept here:

<http://t3flyers.wordpress.com/2006/09/14/tep-common-category-framework-ccf/>

You find CCF classes in SVN. I didn't use them in enob.info because time
was short. I think CCF would be the place to start, if you are looking for
a point to continue. CCF is based on "trees" I already mentioned.

<http://svn.t3.digitaldistrict.de/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/browser/typo3xdev/tx_ccf/trunk>

"articles" was my first lib/div prototyp. It's still working, but doesn't
show all possible comfort. The modern concepts are shown by apples,
bananas, cherries and efaq. Anyway "articles" is the experimenting
sandbox, so it may be a good place to experiment with global categories.

Regards

Elmar