[TYPO3-Solr] [Announce] EXT:solr v2.8.0 released

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Wed Nov 14 18:06:51 CET 2012

Hi all,

Apache Solr for TYPO3 v2.8 released

We're happy to announce the release of Apache Solr for TYPO3 (EXT:solr)
version 2.8.0. With this release we now support and integrate with all
major features of TYPO3 CMS, including workspaces, start and stop time
support, access restrictions, multi-language and multi-site handling,
and more.

Changes in the Early Access Program

This release marks a new milestone in the development of Apache Solr for
TYPO3. Until now there have been two versions of the extension, one
publicly available in the TYPO3 Extension Repository (TER), and a
"private" one available from dkd with additional features over the
public one.

Starting with version 2.8.0, there will be only one version of the
extension, publicly available from TER. Many additional features
previously exclusive to the EAP version have been moved to the public
version now. Other features are now available as add-on extensions from dkd.

This allows to reduce the amount of work involved with maintenance of
the extension. On the other hand it also allows to choose add-on
functionality as needed and to distribute them to customers as they
require them.

New in this Release

Apache Solr 3.6

With this release we're moving to Apache Solr 3.6. This brings bug fixes
on the Solr server side of course, but also allows us to now provide
support for start and stop time in TYPO3 since we are using
functionality introduced with Solr 3.6.

The index schema and Solr configuration files have been adopted and
optimized for Solr 3.6. This includes enabling the Solr index browser
(browse request handler), JSON update request handler, and analysis
request handler.

General Changes

* We added support for workspaces so that changes will get indexed when
they are published to LIVE, but not before that. Until now we of course
did not index unpublished changes either, however the extension did not
recognize the workspace publish and swap events.

* Support for start and stop time based publishing has been added. Pages
and records will be indexed once their start time has been reached. When
the stop time passes, content will be removed from the index again.

* Selected features previously exclusive to the EAP version of the
extension are now available free of charge and ship with the extension
released in TER. New features include hierarchical facets, frequent
searches, last searches, and a result document score analyzer.

Other Changes and Notable Bug Fixes

* New hooks and interfaces to customize functionality
* General bug fixes and stability improvements
* Improvements to the backend module for index maintenance
* PHP 5.4 compatibility
* Support for indexing of records that exist only in specific languages,
but not in the default language

Updating

This release requires Apache Solr 3.6 to work! Start and stop time
support depends on functionality only available from Apache Solr 3.6 and
up. Also the Solr configuration and schema files have been updated for
Solr 3.6. The easiest way to install Solr is to use the install script
that ships with the extension. This script will install the latest
version, Apache Solr 3.6.1.

Although we try to change the schema only when necessary and thus making
updating the extension painless we had to adopt schema and configuration
files with this release. After updating Solr you will need to re-index
your content due to the schema changes. Apologizes for any inconvenience
caused by this.

Updating the TYPO3 extension should be straight forward.

Other changes can be found in the update guide:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-solr/wiki/V220_to_v280

Contributors

(patches, comments, bug reports, ... no particular order)

Steffen Gebert
Stephan Schuler
Jonas Götze
Heiko Kromm
Stefan Sprenger
Michel Tremblay
Peter Kraume
Constantin Lebrecht
Laurent Cherpit
Andreas Beutel
Rolf Hofmann
Florian Megyesi
Pierrick Caillon
Dominik Steinborn
Dimitry Dulepov
Albert van der Veen
Witali Rott
Alexander Wende
Stefan Galinski
Jigal van Hemert

Thanks to everyone who helped in creating this release!

Best,
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com