[TYPO3-Solr] Still installation problems

Hauke Meyer meyer at visionconnect.de
Tue Dec 11 11:38:08 CET 2012

Hi folks,

meanwhile I work on my third solr-typo3 installation and got really
frustrated.
The easiest way is to use the script for the solr/tomcat complete
installation. I toke this way once and it works quite well. But it is
not always possible. In my current case I have to use a Squeeze Debian
installation with the default tomcat6 and here is where my trouble starts.
The wiki information (Setup on Debian 6 (Squeeze) systems) did not work
for me at all. The install script needed a hard rework to run without
errors. I have a lot of "Bad Substitution" errors (the loops over
LANGUAGES and SOLR-VER) and some syntax problems. Nothing to stop me but
it is pain in the ass.  In line 14 we have a wrong named variable
GITRANCH_PATH.

After all I am not all new to bash programming (but I am not good at
Debian, so most of the mistakes above may be selfmade ones) and I
succeeded to create a running version.
But... during tomcat startup I got

"Error loading class 'solr.CurrencyField'"
and
"Error loading class 'solr.GermanNormalizationFilterFactory'"

These errors persist even with the git version to which I switched in
hope for more consistency. But if you try it that way the paths to the
tomcat installation are to change by hand, because they are all absolute.

I think these classes are from Solr 4.0, so I comment them out in the
schema - files, but I must confess: I don't know what I am doing.
After all the solr installation is running but it was a hard way... And
I do not know if it is really working ;-)

I would love to have the documentation "Manual Install without Script"
and not just scripts.

Don't get me wrong, I like the project and my running installations work
like charm, but wrong installscripts without a good "how to without
script" is a good source for frustration.

Hauke