[TYPO3-Solr] Tika and Solr multicore?

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Wed Jun 29 16:59:14 CEST 2011

Am 29.06.11 15:52, schrieb Peter Kraume:

Hi Peter,

> How does the Tika extension work with "Extract using Solr (remote
> server)" and a multicore environment?

It doesn't matter which core you use, just pick one.

> I know that using Tika with a jar file on a local server should be
> prefered but I'm just curious.

It depends, if Solr is on the same server, you'll have Java on the
server, so installing Tika too would be easy.
In a distributed environment, when Solr is on a different machine you
might not want to install java on each webserver, then you might want to
use the Solr server for Tika extraction.
When you have lots of big files, you probably still want to install Java
on the webservers since sending hundreds of MB over the wire just to get
some bytes of meta data back would be slow and kind of a waste too...

HTH
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com