[TYPO3-Solr] T3Solr and FE Groups

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Wed Dec 16 13:00:29 CET 2009

Patrick Gaumond wrote:

Hello my friend,

> We all know that many FE groups can be a nightmare for Indexed Search
> and I was wondering how FE Groups are handled by T3Solr and if
> management is done the same way.
>
> Any URL or docs about this topic ?

Unfortunately there's no documentation on this yet, but maybe Christmas
or the new year will bring us some time to get at it.

The current state is like that:

EXT:solr supports access restricted pages, so that you won't get results
that you're not allowed to see. Currently there's a drawback though that
under certain constellations it happens that some access restricted
results are shown multiple times if a user belongs to multiple groups.
This is due to the way how we implemented the feature. Currently it
looks like we have to go back and do it like indexed search, indexing a
page for each combination of groups found on a page. However, while this
is a problem for indexed search performance and index size wise, it's
not an issue for Solr as we can handle way bigger indexes than would
ever be possible with indexed search.

Currently we're also working on improving this situation by determining
which groups are used for the content elements on a page and then find
the least dominator from that which applies to the page.

So support for access restrictions on content element level is underway too.

Long story short: We currently support FE groups but we'll have to adopt
the indexed search implementation of FE group support to fix some issues
we found with our current solution. However, this is not an issue
performance wise for Solr as it is for indexed search.

Hope that helps
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner