[TYPO3-Solr] solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory for multi language sites

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Dec 14 17:20:12 CET 2009

Michiel Roos [netcreators] wrote:

Hi Michiel,

> Are there any known working setups for solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory
> on multi language sites?
>
> The default is set to English. There is a Dutch lib too, which I can use
> .. . . but how about using more than one in a single config?

On http://www.be-lufthansa.com we have both, english and german content
in one index. This works quite good as german and english are somehow
similar up to a certain degree.
The problem of course arises with more languages and languages that are
different from each other.
Solr currently doesn't offer a nice solution out of the box for these
scenarios. Our idea currently is to have a multi core index setup, with
one core per language... This way you can configure different stemmers
for each language.
Differentiating on which index to search (and to send updates to) should
be easy by using a TS condition that switches the path to the correct
core in plugin.tx_solr.solr.path

For more information on Solr multicore you may want to check
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin

The best thing of course would be having Solr support different stemmers
depending on the language of a document out of the box.

best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner