[TYPO3-project-seminars] Seminar Manager 0.6.1 performance problems

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Sat Jul 19 23:35:43 CEST 2008

Hi Tomas,

Tomas Balek schrieb:
> It's nice that you have fun doing it (it would be sad if you hadn't ;))
> But my opinion is that the extension is too complicated (too many
> features) and quite difficult to use.

If you need an extension with less features, it might be that the
Seminar Manager is not the right tool for your needs.

Concerning improving usability: Quite like performance optimization,
this also is an area that takes time (gathering feedback, doing
usability tests, creating concepts for the changes, integrating them),
which again is paid time or our spare time.

> The question is what's your goal: do you code for yourself (to have fun
> and learn) or do you code for others?

Concerning the Seminar Manager, that's a project that's mostly driven by
customers' needs (plus some dog food usage) with which we have fun and
learn.

> I like neat, fast and easy things to work with and
> the Seminar Manager is rather slowing down my workflow.

That's a clear message. If the Seminar Manager is not the right tool for
you, you're free to choose a different extension.

And if it actually _is_ the right tool for you and you just desire some
improvements, it's in your power to do something about it (help coding
some changes, or sponsoring some changes, or purchasing a support
contract to make sure that your "pet bugs" get fixed).

> What would you drive if you had the choice:
> A VW Polo or a Porche?

I usually travel by bike or by public transport. And if I had to buy a
car, I'd look for a car with little CO2 emission. :-)

Regards,