[TYPO3-RTE] RFC: naming of configuration-schemes

Kai Laborenz laborenz at css-praxis.de
Thu Feb 2 21:16:42 CET 2006

Stanislas Rolland schrieb:
> Kai Laborenz a écrit :
>

>>  From the users viewpoint imho it is best to use self-explaining terms
>> - "advanced" is not self-explaning because it doesnt say is it good
>> ("advanced options") or bad ("advanced knowledge required").
>>
>> So I would suggest:
>>
>> - Minimal
>> - Typical
>> - All Options
>>
>> Second option as a default.
>>
>> BTW: Why is minimal "for advanced administrators only"? I would like
>> all of my unexperienced editors to have minimal options...
>>
> Did you try the options?

No I didn't. So it was a good test, how clear the term is ;-) I thought,
it would give me the minimal options usefull for editing...

How usefull is it to have a rte configuration without the link button?

> If you try the Minimal (For advanced administrators only) settings with
> the latest TYPO3 4.0 and css_styled_content CVS, you should get 5
> buttons: bold,italic,undo,redo,about. I doubt that this is what you want
> to give to your editors.

Sometimes I would like to (but without the italic button)...

> I think that "All options" is not a good description of what the third
> configuration is. Many people would be tempted to choose it instead of
> Typical, and this is certainly not the intent. The intent is that you
> may use it to explore some of the things that are possible. IMHO, "Demo"
>  is a better description of what it is.

Thats a matter of naming style. "All options" just says what it is - all
editing options. Administrators should decide for themselves wheather
this is what they want for their editors.

"demo" could mean a lot of things - maybe a configuration where it is
impossible to save anything...

IMO the best label is what gives people the best hint what will happen
if they choose it (this is true for confugartion options, buttons and
links on webpages).

If we think, nobody should use this setting, we shouldnt offer it at all.

Is it planned to include the text in brackets? So we could add a little
explanation:

- Minimal (...)
[with only 5 buttons I dont see any use of this setting at all...]
- Typical (for most production uses)
- All Options (demo - not for production)

Greetings, Kai