[TYPO3-project-realty] Customizing fields & options

Christophe Stadler discopimp at pornogamy.net
Wed Jul 30 13:11:36 CEST 2008

Hi Oliver, thx for your reply ...

Ok so i was on the right track ... I can of course send you a list of
database fields you could add to your release of the extension, but it seems
to me there is a better way to go about this, and there might be a lot of
Œmy¹ options that other users won¹t want (do you really want to integrate an
option like Œcomplimentary snorkling gear¹ or Œsubject to approval of the
DAEL¹ permanently ?) ...

Over the years i have worked with quite a lot of different real-estate sites
of varying sizes in different parts of the world (from the private homeowner
over hotels and resorts up to classifieds sites) ... The thing that always
strikes me is that there seems to be not many 'standard' features needed in
a real-estate listing. It completely depends on the location/purpose ...
Whereas the current options seem fine for a general purpose site, in my
situation they rarely match and my immediate needs for a new site with
realty would be to remove some options, rename some and add some others.

I have cutomised my current site to my needs as far as i could, but i am
running out of fields to rename, and most of them don't match the type i
need (for example, it's hard to use the 'heating-type' field to store 'terms
& conditions' ...) .. But the whole renaming thing quickly becomes a bit
dangerous and confusing since the database fields still have the original
name.

I think the best solution would be either:

1/ to have the fields/options for a realty object completely customizable (a
bit like in OpenRealty, where you can edit your 'listings template'.

2/ to be able to add custom fields

In either case what seems to be essential is a way to at least hide some
options from the listing form. In my case there are many options my clients
will never use or which don't apply to their type of property. I also don't
need two of the RT-editors ... So if i could customize this it would be a
much less confusing and more productive environment for the users to work.

But maybe i¹m missing the point of your extension, in my mind it would be
great to be able to tailor FE & BE exactly to a clients/sites specs & needs.
Maybe Realty was thought more of a Œgeneric¹ solution.

Chris

On 7/30/08 11:24 AM, in article
mailman.1.1217409891.21013.typo3-project-realty at lists.netfielders.de,