[TYPO3-media] Comments regarding FAL commits

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Mon Nov 14 13:59:01 CET 2011

Hi guys,

I think it would be useful to have a thread in thie list to communicate
about changes / commits to the Git repository of the fileabstraction
project, so we can explain the reason behind the changes.

Also, I will probably get back to some commits and comment on them if I
see something which doesn't fit.

Here is a first comment reagarding one commit from the day before yesterday:

@Andreas:
http://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Incubator.git?a=commit;h=830c1335309c8aa81b47a19d477f97db8f593dbd

In this commit you introduced a new method createFolder(), even though
we already have an addFolder() method.

         /**
+        * Creates a folder.
+        *
+        * @param string $identifier
+        * @param bool $createRecursively
+        * @return bool
+        */
+       public function createFolder($identifier, $createRecursively =
TRUE) {
+               return $this->driver->createFolder($identifier,
$createRecursively);
+       }

Also, it has a dangerous / wrong method signature, as it only has the
$identifier, which is not enough to create a folder. Keep in mind that
an identifier could also look like "md5aoisudzfg79as6dfvztas", in other
words any random identifier a Driver chooses to identify its objects. To
create a new folder, you always need at least the name of the new folder
to create.

Therefore, this method has already been there with the correct signature:

	/**
	 * previously in t3lib_extFileFunc::folder_new()
	 * @param	string	$newFolderName
	 * @param	t3lib_file_Folder $parentFolder The parent folder to create
the new folder inside of
	 * @return	t3lib_file_Folder	The new folder object
	 */
	public function addFolder($newFolderName, t3lib_file_Folder
$parentFolder) {
		// TODO: Implement this function
		// return $this->driver->createFolder($newFolderName, $parentFolder);
	}

cheers
Ingmar