[TYPO3-project-formidable] FORMIdable & XHTML

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Fri Jun 29 10:47:32 CEST 2007

Hi,

Luc Muller schrieb:
> I'm not sure if I'm right... but... this calendar do not resepct
> accessibility standards... to have an accessible date you should use
> a text field where user inputs himself the date.

Well, the date field already offers a text field which is perfectly
accessible. If a screenreader is used, the alt attribute for the date
picker is needed so that the screenreader can output something other
than the file name - even if the alt attribute contains only a hint that
this is a link to a JavaScript-based date picker that cannot be used for
screen readers. In addition, the alt attribute would remove another
validation error.

About the name and id attributes: For name attributes (which are needed
for naming the form data), [ and ] are perfectly valid. For the IDs
(which are needed for CSS selectors and for getElementById and for
providing targets for label tags), [ and ] are not valid and in some of
my tests created actual problems when trying to use them in CSS ID
selectors. Luckily, the name and id attribute can be different. As
manual proposed, replacing [ and ] by _ in the id attributes (but not
the name attributes) to me sounds like the way to go.

About validation: I often use a HTML validator to check the validity of
my extension HTML templates. When there is lots of noise in the
validator output (eg. missing alt attributes or [] in id attributes),
this makes it harder for me to spot the actual errors. When there is no
validation noise, I can just rely on the green check mark of the HTML
validator extension in Firefox - which is a lot faster than always
having to open the validator output and sift through the messages.

Manuel, maybe you can post a patch that fixes the ID attributes?

If I can be of any help, please just ask.

Best regards,

Oliver