[TYPO3-project-formidable] Formidable : a beginners point of view

Rob De Vries spam_this at pandora.be
Thu Jun 28 09:57:32 CEST 2007

Hey Formidable boys and girls,

first: congratulations to Ameos: for me, formidable is the most amazing
ext. I've seen in a while. You have my vote for the ext. of the year.

It is now more than a week that I'm using formidable and I would like to
share my experiences as a beginner.

Formidable is for me a very typicale T3 'application'. It keeps on
amazing me how versatile it is, even for a non programmer like me, but
it has also a very steep lurning curve.

One of the reasons, and this is no complain, is the lack of good
documentation. I know this is a delicate subject and that Ameos is
working on this (there is the wiki, the knowledge base, the example
extensions and the reference documention) but still, it seems to me that
it just reflects only a tiny amount of the possebilities of Formidable.

For me, the demo extensions were the most usefull to see how things
work. I'm the type of guy who starts trying things to see what it gives
and after it works, I get an understanding why it works. "Monky see,
monky do" approche.
I guess this counts for most of us, as I can tell of the questions in
this list.

So, for a beginner, the most usefull things to get a good boost-start
would be, and I qoute: documentlets.
A list of snippets on how to do this or that. This could be very simpel
tasks like: how to send an email after filling out a form (how to style
the output of a mail) how to get information displayd on a page (not
only the list, but also a 'single' view), how to get information of
something based on a front-end user, etc ... For most of you very simple
things, for a beginner like me, not that obvious.

My idea of these snippets is very simple, they don't even need to be
'working' examples as the demo ext. just a list of some examples (as in
the documentation). And we already have a very nice place for this: the
wiki.
It will take a very tiny amount of time to place your own 'snippet' in
the wiki, It even don't need alot of explaining, just your code example
and a comment line or two will do.
If this 'snippet' base grow, it will help us all tremendously, the more
examples, the less we all need to look for a sollution, the faster our
own productions will go and the more new people will start to use
formidable (who, in their turn will add more snippets, that will atract
more new people ... )

For now, i'll keep on figuring things out with the information we have.
Formidable is worth all the extra time trying, failing and trying back
agian.

tnx for your time reading this.

Rob