[TYPO3-project-formidable] Official Forms Library

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Wed Sep 20 18:39:46 CEST 2006

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> No worries, guys!
>
> I think tx_forms really has a very different focus compared to
> formidable. Whereas forms is limited strictly to form handling,
> formidable is more of a rapid application development framework.
Yes I agree completely Ingmar. I would like to think we can have
tx_forms working with, not instead of formidable.

> @Raphael: tx_forms is indeed the "official" forms library supported by
> the Extension Coordination Team (which is headed by Elmar Hinz).
> Anyway, if you compare the two, you'll see that the focus of tx_forms
> and formidable is completely different!

> cheers
> Ingmar
>
> Raphael GEYER schrieb:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Official extension ... what does that mean ? are you sponsored by the TYPO3
>> association ?
To me, that means it is overseen, and has some form of coordination with
the ECT, then maybe after a chant and wave of a wand to declare it official.

>> Yes, FORMidable lacks a correct documentation. Yes, it doesn't have neither
>> any wiki page that presents it. Expect the community to correct this really
>> soon, David.
I'm sorry if you took my post as criticism Raphael, that was not my
intention at all. In fact from the documentation alone I can see a lot
of thought has gone into this project.

>> Yes, we have been in contact with Christopher Koehler but when he collected
>> ideas and suggestions FORMidable was already existing.
Yes. I'm sure tx_forms can benefit from what has already been done in
formidable. I noticed formidable in the list of evaluated existing form
libraries so I'm sure Christopher and co will be taking notice of your work.

>> As you said, you didn't follow the progress of FORMidable which was a form
>> library in it's first release.
>> Now, FORMidable is a framework which not only allows to create Forms but
>> also manages business interactions (display results, search forms, server
>> events ...)
That's excellent Raphael. Sounds like this will become an important part
of TYPO3.

>> The goal of ameos_formidable is not to be any official extension, Ingmar
>> Schlecht and Sebastian Kurfuerst already planned to work on a common form
>> library for TYPO3 usable in the BackEnd and the FrontEnd which should
>> replace TCA and all this stuff. And this *is* official. They, as core
>> developpers, asked us to help them achieving this because, as Sebastian said
>> at Dietikon "FORMidable would be the perfect form library for TYPO3 v5"
A goal of the ECT is to reduce the number of double up extensions in the
repository and to coordinate extension developers' efforts to prevent
recreating the wheel. I hope FORMidable is the perfect form library for
TYPO3 v5.

>> FORMidable has been presented at T3DD06 in Dietikon, and the assembly was
>> really enthousiastic. (A demonstration is also planned at T3CON06)
Enthusiasm is a good sign.

>> FORMidable is also succesfuly integrated FORMidable in huge TYPO3 projects,
>> such as : Peugeot's intranet, CEA's intranet, UN's intranet,
>> http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/ , http://www.a-e-r.org/ ...
Good to hear. I hope it is integrated into many more.

>> There is also a living community that uses formidable, and developping
>> add-ons for FORMidable ( thx Jeremy, Radu, FS, ... )
Well Raphael, you now know my feeling of too many extensions ... I hope
Jeromy's, Radu's, FS's, ... add-ons make it back into FORMidable  :-p

>> If tx_forms reveals itselves as the right way of doing the same things that
>> we can do with FORMidable, maybe could we collaborate and merge your work
>> into ours and we are open to share ideas.
I'm not on the tx_forms team, but I do hope this is the eventual
scenario. To prevent this post from becoming noise, I hope it helps to
coordinate the best of breed form handling/management extensions.

Cheers,
David