[TYPO3-doc] Documentation Team leader job description

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Oct 30 10:24:49 CET 2014

Hi all,

As you are surely aware of, I'll be stepping down as team leader at the
end of this year, which is getting near. No one has volunteered to pick
up the position so far. In the hope of helping someone reach a decision,
I have written a short "job description".

Please note that this is how *I* interpreted the job. It does not mean
that whoever picks it up has to handle it the same way. Indeed each
leader has his/her own take on the matter and that's perfectly okay.

It is also true that many things happened during my leadership and you
may be afraid of not living up to that. You shouldn't. First of all I
didn't do most of the work myself, I was mostly the manager. Second
those achievements shouldn't be taken as a gold standard. The situation
of the documentation has changed much, it is in far better state than
before, so you can expect a more "quiet" period ahead (unless you want
to launch your own big works).

Anyway, here are the tasks I handled as team leader (I handled others,
but they are not related to the position itself):

- team management

Check what people are doing around documentation, be they team members
or not. Put people in touch who have some common or complementary goals.
Help foster discussion and decisions.

- team meetings

Organise and lead team meetings. Write and publish meeting minutes. We
had a monthly schedule, but - again - that is not a gold standard.

- budget

Request budget for the following year. Manage current budget: review
people's work, approve invoices, send to back office. This is probably
the most tedious, especially since resources do not become magically
available just because you have some money. This can be quite
frustrating. OTOH having a budget allowed for having a code sprint,
which was really nice (even though I lacked the energy to organise a
second one).

- network with other team

Documentation touches a lot of aspects of our community. We need to
collaborate with other teams for various reasons. The team leader does
not need to handle everything him/herself. Tasks can be delegated to
other team members.

That's it really. Feel free to ask questions if you would like to know
more or feel like I have forgotten something.

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch

TYPO3: Help the project! - http://typo3.org/contribute/

Appreciate my work? Support me -
http://www.monpetitcoin.com/en/francois/support-me/