[TYPO3-doc] Documentation of 4.5 branch

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Jul 1 08:04:16 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 1-7-2014 3:37, wolo wolski wrote:
> I've never seen before this link, it's totally not visible.
> The oldest branch i can select there is 6.0. As i know, TCA differs in 6.

As I explained, we only started making different documentation for
different versions after TYPO3 CMS 6.0. The documentation up till 6.0
contains comments to reflect the differences between versions.

For example, on the page you mention below there is a line:
"width (since TYPO3 CMS 6.0): Set a custom width of the tree select
field in pixels."
If such a feature was added in 6.1 it would simply only exist in the
documentation of 6.1 and higher and would not have been added in the
documentation of lower version.

> Example: TCA, type "select":
> docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TCAReference/6.0/Reference/Columns/Select/Index.html
>
> Ref says, that with renderMode set to checkbox - it "Renders a list of
> checkboxes". This value doesn't work in 4.5. It's from newer Typo.

It should be working in 4.5 (I've used it in the past in a project). The
code is in
\t3lib_TCEforms::getSingleField_typeSelect() which calls
\t3lib_TCEforms::getSingleField_typeSelect_checkbox() to render the
checkboxes.

There is in the manual an important line in the description of 'renderMode':

"(Only for maxitems > 1)"

If you haven't set maxitems to a value larger than 1 the option
'renderMode' simply cannot work.

If you have trouble to get this working, you can ask in a suitable
list/forum.

> And many more, so how can I figure out, what is working in my version
> and what is not?

As said before, use the oldest documentation and watch the comments
about differences for various versions.

> 4.5 is still supported, it's called Long Term and it doesn't have
> complete thrustworthy up to date documentation. I can't understand this.

The documentation may contain bugs too, but we try to prevent this by
filing an issue for the documentation along with every new or removed
feature in the code.
If you happen to find bugs in the documentation you can submit a bug
report or you can use the 'Edit me on GitHub' button in the upper right
corner (in the latest version of the documentation).

> Why I can't just see this old 4.5 reference, like some time ago?
> Why all of that olds was removed?

Up till 6.1 there was only one version which contained accumulated
documentation. No versions were removed.

> It looks for me like "we have our new 6.2, new lts, so all of you older
> version users just gtfo, not our problem"... that's how I feel.

Not at all, there are still releases for 4.5, 4.7, 6.1 (and a bonus
security release for 6.0 recently) published. The latest was about a
month ago.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor