[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Feb 13 22:52:03 CET 2014

Hi,

Going back to this old topic.

> Having discussed and tested this with Xavier, all I can say is that I am
> positive about this. The process may be somewhat convoluted (for us,
> maintainers) but it makes so much easier for people to contribute to the
> documentation.

Having been through all the motions, I can confirm that it's pretty
convoluted and I'm not sure it's worth it. Of course the idea was that
people would contribute mostly small corrections and that all those
commits could be squashed together in one larger commit to push to Gerrit.

Until now there have been only few contributions, some of which were not
trivial enough to be squashed with the others. The problem with this is
that a Forge issue must be created for each commit ported from Github
(and not squashed with another one) as we need a ChangeId to push to
Gerrit (and the script will refuse to do its job if there are no
"Resolves:" and "Releases:" tags. Furthermore if you have several such
commits to update, you can't just use "git commit --amend" because that
works only for the last commit. You have to interactive rebase, amend
each commit, then push them. If that were not enough, if you start
merging the first one in Gerrit, the next one will be considered
outdated. You have to pull to rebase, push again and repeat for each commit.

I'm not sure if this is really worth it. It's true that it brought a few
contributions which we may never have received if it weren't for the
Github fork, but the work it implies may offset the benefits.

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch

TYPO3: Help the project! - http://typo3.org/contribute/

Appreciate my work? Support me -
http://www.monpetitcoin.com/en/francois/support-me/