[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Sep 26 11:10:33 CEST 2013

Hi Bastian,

> In the little test I set up[2] apart from the two-click activation I use
> the API to fetch the number of comments anonymously. I think that would
> be a good compromise telling people "there are x comments but you need
> to trust disqus if you want to read / reply to them".

I like that, it is perfect and a good compromise, +1!

> BTW: Using commenting for docs.typo3.org we still have to clarify how to
> deal with different versions/languages of a document. I think
> buzz.typo3.org might be a good place for a trial run, we could even
> import existing comments using their import format [3].

My suggestion would be to now go on and use your work as this on
docs.typo3.org. Regarding the comments and so, I would suggest to create
the Disqus key out of the documentation key/extension key (as used by
EXT:documentation in TYPO3 6.2):

Official documents: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/documents.json
Extensions use "typo3cms.extensions.<extension-key>"

and the path to the chapter so that the same chapter in various versions
get the same comments. If at some point we see that it would make sense
to have comments bound to a given version, we would *then* introduce an
additional input parameter to the generation of the Disqus key (and
think about a way to stick to old key for older versions of the doc).
But I don't expect that many comments in the first place and loosing
comments each time a new version is rendered will be worse.

@Christian, I think we should better invest time enhancing TYPO3 and the
various parts we already manage and use proven solutions rather than
maintaining yet another piece of code for something that is not directly
related to our TYPO3 ecosystem. I think of the comments in
docs.typo3.org as a way to enhance the documentation itself in an easy
manner.

@Bastian, as you played a bit with the API, having a summary of chapters
having comments similarly to our summary of references within a document
(see http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptReference/Targets.html)
would be awesome! Ideally together with the date of the latest comment,
if possible.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6