[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Sep 26 09:13:21 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

> Personally, I am very relaxed about using Disqus, although others are
> not. At least, this would be an out of the box solution which could be
> used very quickly (and could still be replaced if we find a better
> solution later).
>
> Unfortunately, the reality is again much more difficult than it seems
> to be...

I've the same thought. I really don't understand why we should reinvent
the wheel here, disqus is great and we would certainly benefit *much*
having it ASAP for all our docs.

Regarding the move to another system later, we may easily loose everything.

Now, I would go for a pragmatic approach that is already in use on
typo3.org, the double-single-click to activate Disqus, that is deferring

BUT if we do that we won't see existing comments so my second
suggestion, would be to suggest to proxy as "read-only" the existing
comments through a typo3.org account as default, to be able to read the
comments without activating the plugin and replacing the whole block by
the real Disqus plugin if one wants to participate.

2 concerns here:

1) Don't know if proxying the existing comments would be easily feasible
but I guess it shouldn't be that tricky, possibly not showing everything
(e.g., only showing static text, not avatar pictures)

2) I don't know if doing that would be against the terms of use of
Disqus just as deactivating the Facebook like button was and that the
only way was to change the look of the "F" on the deactivated button.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6