[TYPO3-doc] Outdated versions of TYPO3 Guides (e.g. SecurityGuide)

Michael typo3ml at schams.net
Fri Mar 8 10:36:57 CET 2013

Hi!

I stumbled across something yesterday, when I read the latest security
bulletins released by the Security Team. I assume, the *official* link
to TYPO3 Security Guide is now (as of March 2013):

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/SecurityGuide/

The latest version of the Security Guide is version 1.0.2.

However, there is still an "extension" available: doc_guide_security.
You can search for it in TER:

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/

...you can download it, you can install it and you can read it. The
extension shows version 1.0.1 (so you download/install an outdated
version which is not obvious at this point) and when you follow the link
"read online", you end up at:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/guides/doc_guide_security/current/

Here, you can follow the link to the documentation server, or: "For the
time being we also provide the old ones below" (which is version 1.0.1).
Personally, I think this page is already confusing but let's focus on
the main thing:

The official TYPO3 security bulletins contain a link to the Security
Guide. The links reads:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/doc_guide_security/current/

(so: ".../extension-manuals/..." not ".../guide/..." in the URL). If you
follow the link in the bulletin, you get redirected to:

http://typo3.org/extension-manuals/doc_guide_security/current/

Which is the same page as above (Security Guide version 1.0.1) but
*without* any hints that this version is outdated.

Bottom line:

(1) Should someone tell the Security Team to use
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/SecurityGuide/ in the future?

(2) Should we consider to have some redirects (for all appropriate docs
that have this "issue") to the documentation server, e.g.:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/*/doc_guide_security
-> redirect to: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/SecurityGuide/

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/*/doc_guide_install
-> redirect to: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/InstallGuide/

(3) Is there a reason to keep old versions? Or let me rephrase this:
what can we do to prevent that people accidentally access an outdated
version of a Guide (or other documentation type)? The current scenario I
described above is definitely an issue from my perspective.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Michael