[TYPO3-doc] PDF rendering

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sat Jun 22 18:10:25 CEST 2013

Hi,

Today I documented (and adjusted code for Windows) how to setup the
LaTeX environment for PDF rendering when using EXT:sphinx:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/latest/Administration/RenderingPdf/Index.html

There is nothing fundamentally new that was not in the wiki in the first
place but it summaries the steps including screenshots (on Windows) and
describes the critical choices to make during install in order to ensure
a smooth UX in the end.

On the other hand one may want to use rst2pdf instead, and in fact, it
could be an interesting alternative for people not wanting to install a
full LaTeX stack on their system. I did not yet investigate much more
(except installing it once globally on my system and running it once to
see that the output was by far not as good as with LaTeX) but anyway, I
suspect it could run in a "sandbox" and thus be installed by EXT:sphinx
the same way I currently set up the local environment for Sphinx without
requiring anything else than Python:

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/49341

The next step will be to further investigate what I started months ago
by tweaking the PDF rendering to get a "TYPO3" branding (I expect to
target LaTeX environment first).

So as of now, if you use EXT:sphinx from git repository and follow the
instructions in the documentation (as shown, available as "latest" on
docs.typo3.org), you'll have a complete working environment to render
Sphinx/ReStructuredText as HTML, JSON and PDF on Linux, Mac OS X or MS
Windows.

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!