[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu Feb 28 00:41:13 CET 2013

Hi Jigal,

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> Well, I don't think I can push anything to that GitHub thingy without
> doing more than simply using Git the way I've learned to do (probably
> need an account and maybe extra settings?)

(for the other notes, please see the answers from François)

You can push a branch (or a range of changes) to any configured remote.
You can see all remotes with
$ git remote -v
e.g.
origin	git at github.com:pgampe/TYPO3-CMS-Catharsis.git (fetch)
origin	git at github.com:pgampe/TYPO3-CMS-Catharsis.git (push)
upstream	git://github.com/lolli42/TYPO3-CMS-Catharsis.git (fetch)
upstream	git://github.com/lolli42/TYPO3-CMS-Catharsis.git (push)

or
origin	git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git (fetch)
origin	ssh://pgampe@review.typo3.org:29418/TYPO3v4/Core.git (push)

$ git add remote github git://git.github.org/username/project.git
Will add a new remote named github.

So you push like you do with any CMS patch and use github instead of origin
- that is all. Once you have set up a remote, you do not need to do anything
but use that remotes name instead of origin (which is the default name).

You need to create a fork first, before you can do any pushes as you can
only push to your own repositories on github (unless you are a project
member). Github has nice help pages to get you started with pull requests.

A bit more detailed is the github help:
https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork

And of course the git book:
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Basics-Working-with-Remotes