[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Wed Feb 27 10:37:51 CET 2013

> That's also why I'd
> appreciate to see some externally developed, useful tools from the
> community be integrated on TYPO3-infrastructure.

Believe me, that will not happen! I am long enough in the documentation team to tell we don't have
the resources to achieve this.

Current situation (in the last 6 months) is that we had very little - if no contribution - related
to documentation expect from the documentation team members which can be counted on the fingers of
one hand. And look at the documentation we have... so many parts are out dated.

Do we want to keep the current situation?

Contributions are difficult to get in general in open-source project particularly in things that
sound less exciting like writing documentation. On the top of that we must admit new contributors
have a technical barrier to overcome. Our workflow, based on Gerrit, implies many manipulations that
is putting off new people.

Although Github will not bring any guarantee we will get tons of contributions, it will
significantly increase our chances. Think of that! In two clicks you can submit a documentation
change without leaving your browser (see my the first post for more details).

I have no problem considering Github as a transitory solution waiting the tools getting better on
the market. I also have this kind of solution on my radar:
http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/smartpointers.html but again it is much more work to handle the
"backend". I can dedicate a 2-3 days work on that, not more.

All the best,

Fabien