[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Feb 25 09:32:31 CET 2013

Hi,

The same goes also for SourceForge (http://geeknetmedia.com/).

> have a look at the dmca pages there.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/dmca-takedown
>
> https://github.com/github/dmca
>
> using github as official and only repository for the typo3 projects
> would mean that we would need even more signed CLAs and legal manpower.

I would be surprised if that was the case.

Wit Subversion it was much more of an issue because we relied on a central server
which contained all the history. With Git this is a non-issue as thousands of people
have a full backup of everything and can potentially create a new server anywhere
anytime.

If Github gave up Open Source free accounts (which would be stupid because they rely
on Open Source projects making them attractive) all we'd lose is the configuration of the
workflow.

> please this in mind if we dont want our code being taken down by someone
> claiming copyright to code used in any typo3 project.

Don't you think that these projects should be scared, too?

- Node JS
- Ruby on Rails
- JQuery
- Backbone
- Homebrew
- Less.js
- Symfony
- Django
- Opscode (Chef)

I don't see that we are infringing any copyrights with the TYPO3 projects. In the unlikely case
that someone shuts down the master repos, we'll just mirror them somewhere else five minutes
later.

Or to put it differently: we haven't really had license problems with TYPO3 in the past 10 years and
therefor I suggest to concentrate on solutions rather than potential problems.

Just my 2ct,
Robert

--
Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Neos and TYPO3 Flow

Blog: robertlemke.com/blog
Get involved: typo3.org – flow.typo3.org – neos.typo3.org