[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

Michael typo3ml at schams.net
Sun Feb 24 03:16:05 CET 2013

On 24/02/13 02:35, Olivier Dobberkau wrote:

>> Do not get me wrong: I am not totally against the GitHub idea but I
>> hesitate to be excited about it ...
>
> i would like to add my concerns that github is a us corporation that is
> under the us copyright system.  [...]
> please this in mind if we dont want our code being taken down by someone
> claiming copyright to code used in any typo3 project.

I haven't thought about this - that's a very important point, too, from
my perspective.

 From reading the DMCA pages I get the impression, that, if someone
claims any rights and informs GitHub about this, they take down the
repositories in question and then notify the repo owner to allow him/her
to sort out the issue - by entering an objection or declaring that the
material has been removed.

I doubt that GitHub spends a lot of time investigating if the claims are
legitimate and appropriate. Plus the time it takes to sort out the
issue, plus the time for GitHub to check and reactivate the repos. So, I
suspect, the repo remains down and not (publicly?) accessible for the
time the dispute lasts, which can easily take some days, maybe weeks.

This would definitely be an issue with the core code, maybe less an
issue for documentation (reST).

Cheers
Michael