[TYPO3-doc] Standalone Sphinx

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Apr 17 15:45:46 CEST 2013

On 4/17/13 7:02 AM, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 17-4-2013 12:45, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> If I understand you correctly your solution for displaying documentation
>> in the TYPO3 backend is that it requires python and sphinx on the system
>> to render it on the fly from the ReST sources? Really, a PHP application
>> that also requires python and sphinx if you want to read the
>> documentation of installed extensions...
>>
>> I'm speechless...
>
> You got me wrong, I don't say that this is THE solution, I'm just saying
> that providing a Sphinx environment to extension authors or users is
> feasible. Regarding the integration in Backend, this is more a proof of
> concept, I don't have a real use case right now and certainly it will
> never be something for everyone, just as is the kickstarter, only for
> some kind of members in our community.

I've been keeping any eye on the threads here for a little while and
love all the great work that has been done with with documentation recently.

I have not actually made it to any real coding yet, but the use case I
have in mind is rendering documentation inside our company website.  I
envision this working by having a post-commit hook on BitBucket or
GitHub that pings our server, and then a script on the server that
checks out docs and renders as JSON.  From the JSON, of course we use
restdoc to display it inside TYPO3.

It sounds like the only piece missing would be the glue code to handle
the post commit hook.

Thanks!
Jeff