[TYPO3-doc] Workshop T3DD

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Apr 8 21:14:59 CEST 2013

Hi Philipp,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm catching up with my mail after a few days off.

> I already send a mail to Thomas regarding that topic, but if course I would
> like to find a strategy here in this list:

Thomas who? What's the context here?

>> I would really like to see a workshop for the documentation including
>> (but not exclusive):

Indeed it could be good to have a workshop about documentation writing
to show people how to get started contributing.

>> * Updating Getting Started to 6.1
>> * Update Editors Guide to 6.1 (not much)
>> * Extend the Editors Guide with longer examples
>> * Find concept to split content between editors guide and getting
>> started guide (lots of overlapping currently), move content if needed

Indeed, this last point is important. It's hard enough maintaining so
many manuals without having duplicate content.

>> * Update templating guide to 6.1
>> * Extend the templating guide (multiple templating methods, more tricks,
>> etc)

Yes, but :-) In fact the idea behind the new templating tutorial is to
have many shorter ones, rather than the few long ones we had before. So
indeed, there's a lot to add, but we would rather create additional
tutorials, than lengthen the new one.

Shorter tutorials make for a better sense of progress by readers.

>> * Go over other documentation and update what is needed

Sure, but that's a pretty tall order given that some manual haven't been
updated in years (Inside TYPO3, for example). We should beware not
setting objectives which too ambitious for fear of discouraging
potential participants.

>> At the same time updates to the Introduction Package may be done (to
>> create new samples for the documentation), but this depends on someone
>> with access to the IP database.

Ideally that would be good indeed.

>> A more technical part (but maybe as another workshop):

Definitely a separate workshop IMO. Maybe several workshops...

>> * finish automatic rendering after merges
>> [snip]
>> * investigate if we can set restrictions on the typoscript documentation
>> (+ in extension docs) in a way that allows to autogenerate the XML for
>> the t3editor
> What we need to figure out is:
> * Who will be at T3DD

I will most probably be. I don't know for others from the Documentation
Team yet.

> * Do you see a need for a workshop

Yes.

> * What topics should be covered (technical stuff, editorial topics,
> gathering contributors, helping extension authors)

The topics above are good and IMO more than enough, as we should not
expect to have many people participating (based on past experience). Of
course, I am very open to being pleasantly surprised ;-). I haven't
attended T3DD for a few years now, but I remember the audience as being
quite strongly made of developers, so maybe we should aim for more
technical topics.

> * What are the priorities for the topics

We have outlined priorities in recent team meetings [1]. Given recent
progress, I guess they will be mostly the same in 3 months time.

> * And who would like to lead a workshop

I would of course lead one, but I don't want to lead more. I also want
to be a simple participant in other workshops.

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/wiki/2013-02-21#Priorities