[TYPO3-doc] Re: Why I like to write documentation

Elmar t3elmar at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:38:04 CEST 2013

> Whenever possible, I use BDD to focus my mind on
> requirements and behavior of a software before starting to code.
>
> Writing feature descriptions and corresponding scenarios with gherkin
> helps to think about software from a stakeholders point of view
> (non-technical). It also allows you to communicate your software to the
> stakeholder. Finally you can execute your scenarios and see if your code
> does what it is expected to.

I didn't work with BDD testing, yet, but I clearly see the advantage.
If you strictly apply it, you can block any risk of seductive scopecreep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_creep

In many projects the customer has rather vague expectiations, of what he really wants.
Often expectations get real shape not before things are already done.

By applying BDD you drive  the expectations to the accurate point at the very
beginning, even if a third party sits in between of the communication process.

Regards

Elmar